Sunday, August 24, 2008

No Sugar Added


Recently, I had a crazy experience. As most of you know, we have a VERY busy monkey in our home. We know her as Hailey. She is one of a kind and we love her so much. She is amazing and is incredibly smart. I have known from day one that she would be one to intimidate me every day of the rest of my life. She started everything early... walking at 9 months... crawling at 7 months... talking at 10 months... etc. She has always been one to transition well and move on to the next thing without a whims notice. She has become more and more so over the last 6 months or so. Her energy is unexplainable (you just have to see it to believe it). So, one night, as I was saying my prayers, I felt the need to pray about it. I needed, as a mother, to find a way to help her channel her energy so she didn't get frustrated in life. I had the most clear answer I have ever receieved. 'Take away the sugar'.

Are you kidding me??? But it's so good!! Well, Nate and I had decided to do it and we took Hailey off sugar. It has made a VERY dramatic change. She would never snuggle us.. she was too busy. Now, she will sit on my lap for at least half a Pixar cartoon. It's amazing. She is still VERY busy, mind you. However, the change in her moods and in her personality and her energy are wonderful. I write this for two reasons. The first, to warn those of you who are friends and family, that she now is off sweets and treats. She still has the occasional teddy grahams or graham cracker, but for treats and candy, no more. Please help us continue this diet with her if she is ever around. We would grately appreciate your help. And two, to warn any of you with toddlers that sugar can make a HUGE difference in their little body's and how they grow and react. If you are feeling the need to do something different with your childs diet, I would recommend, taking away the sugar. It has helped us a lot!!!

9 comments:

The Staheli's said...

I'm really glad that you are seeing the results you were hoping for. I'm curious about the extent of the diet too...like is it just treats? Or stuff like juice and sugared cereal??
She's a doll. Hopefully we can come see you guys again soon!

Jess and Matt said...

Way to go! You are stronger than me, that's for sure. Good job for doing what you know is best for her. You are a great mom!

Tiffany Johnson said...

We don't give her any juice. Every now and then she has some, but we really never have. It's always been milk and water. And we don't have any sugared cereal. Neither of us are big fans of it anyways, so we stick to stuff like cheerios, chex, grape nuts, etc. Luckily she loves granola cereals so she eats a lot of that and oat meal, eggs, etc. We just try to stay away from too much 'sweets' type stuff. But it's not so strict that she can't have ANYTHING that has sugar in it. Make sense? Like most of your crackers and snack type stuff has sugar, but we just stay away from snacks like fruit snacks and cookie stuff.

This is Us said...

Good for you. It's smart to do it now while you still have some control.

Tiffany Johnson said...

thanks Rachelle! :-)

Marce said...

wow that's awesome! i will definitely keep this in mind as our little monster continues to grow..i wish it was the sugar that would explain why ours is so crazy...but i think if my two month old suffered from sugar OD, i would have bigger problems...hehe. we miss you guys! can't wait to see you on sunday! we are actually going to be there...and are blessing ellie. craziness. maybe i'll get lucky and get to see you before then!? love to you!

Lia said...

Good for you! We had a similar experience with Kayla, but we took her off of artificial colors and flavors and basically went all organic with our kids and same story, AMAZING turn around in her behavior! I too would recommend healthy and sound diet adjustments for all children! Now if we can just get the schools and government in on it and stop big business from exploiting our children and marketing junk food to babies!

Leah said...

Yeah, I wish we didn't eat sugar around here. But, if we didn't have any sugar in the house, Garrit would starve.

My sweet husband has passed his sweet tooth on to DREW.

Kris said...

Wow - props to you, Tiff! You are much stronger than I am! I'm glad it has made such a difference with hailey though! She is such a babe! Now that we are all feeling better (yes, Ben and I got sick too) we need to play!