Sunday, September 19, 2010

On to other things...

Well Friends, i've made a decision. I needed to simplify my life. I feel like I miss out on too many things that are important because i'm too busy. Or my mind is just crammed with mindless information that I don't need.

My girls are growing up way too fast. I am WAY behind on scrapbooking and that's something that I love.

I want to read more books.

I want to spend more time outside.

I want to spend less time on my laptop. (this is a HUGE one)

I want to spend more time reading to my girls.

I want to spend more time cooking wonderful meals for my family. (as apposed to throwing something together last minute.)

I want to teach my girls more skills. (cooking, cleaning, etc.)

I want to watch a movie with Nate without distraction.

Aside from the physical changes, I want to have less stuff on my mind. I feel like I need to have a more clear outlook on things that are more important like my family.

We recently had regional conference and in a talk given by Julie Beck she states: 
"avoid being distracted by things that are nice to do at the expense of things that are most important."

This is my new goal. So after many talks with Nate and after much consideration on my part and on his, i've decided to cancel my facebook account.  Honestly, since I did it, I feel like a weight has been lifted in a way. It's a little hard to explain.

So, from now on, stay tuned for updates on my blog. I'll miss you all on facebook, but i'll be in touch!

P.S. I spent a lot of time on facebook last night going through and writing down contact information the old school way. (in and address book) So I can still be in touch with those long lost friends and family that facbook reconnected me with. Now, as we part ways, I am greatful for facebook for that.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

good for you! freedom!

Danny and Amber Koller said...

Wow! That is awesome. I loved that talk. I have decided to stop watching so much t.v. It is crazy how much you can get done in an hour or so. Blogging and scrapbooking are so much better anyway

The Staheli's said...

Wow...that's huge!! Some days I hate facebook, but most days I'm so grateful that it keeps me in touch with people I would otherwise have completely lost touch with...especially my family who are far away. I wish you all the luck in attaining your goals. I'm so glad that you feel better already. :)

Kris said...

I admire you for doing something that was hard that you knew was right and best for you and your family. Freedom is right! I loved Sis Beck's talk too by the way. I think the only part of the whole conference was a few paragraphs of her talk but that made sitting there for 2 hours with 2 kids totally worth it! :-) By the way, do you know if the talks from that conference are online somewhere or did you just write that quote down?

MEG said...

I totally had this thought the other day - the one about how free my life and thoughts would be if I didn't get on FB. I didn't come to the conclusion to shut down my account though. That would take me WAY TOO MUCH willpower. Besides, what would I do with those slow hours at work?

I did decide that I should only log on to FB once a day. That's enough, right? You've inspired me. I'm actually going to try to make that a goal. Starting today.

Thanks for this post.

Allison said...

Ahhhh I totally know this dilemma. Facebook is a huge distraction & I've been tossing around getting rid of it too. Do I really have almost 300 friends? Um, not last time I checked that's for sure! I am pretty positive that I'll be following in your footsteps in the very near future.

Jess and Matt said...

Good job Tiff! We don't realize how nice life can be without technological distractions until we finally take them away. Matt and I turned off our cable in July and we seriously DON'T even miss it! We can watch shows on our computer, but even still, we hardly ever do that. There are just so many better things to fill your time with. I spent this last weekend in Mammoth with some girlfriends and I only checked my phone at night... it was so great taking a break from always being on my computer and phone, I felt so much more peace!