Friday, September 14, 2012

New Cast

Ugh. SOON this nightmare will be over, but not soon enough.  This past Monday was the appointment from hell. It really was the worst thing ever.  You can read about it in the previous post. The next day, Addy was on her way down our grass to our car when she tripped and slammed her arm and face onto the sidewalk.  She immediately started crying and holding her arm. Not to mention her face was all scraped up.  So, the next morning, Wednesday, we went back to the doctor for more x-rays.  As soon as the doctor walked in the room, she freaked and started crying and crawling up Nate, grabbed my neck and had us both in a grip that I didn't even know she was capable of.  After reviewing the x-rays, the doctor reassured us that they were fine. THANK GOODNESS!  We left the office in the BEST mood that day. We took the girls to the zoo where we knew she could just ride in a stroller and chill for the rest of the day.

Then, today rolled around.  Today was the appointment for her new cast.  We take some x-rays and the doctor reviews them.  All the while Addy is a mess. Her anxieties really have had the best of her through this whole process and I don't blame her one bit.  The x-rays aren't perfect, but it's not enough for the doctor to feel the need to re-set them.  YAY!!!

So, the nurse comes in to take off the splint and put on her cast. The splint was stuck. It came off with a bit of a jolt and Addy started screaming.  CRAP!  So, back to the x-ray room we go. I'm watching her poor little arm the whole time and it is just bruised ALL OVER. It's so sad.  She's still a mess.  I'm trying really hard to keep it together since i'm the only one with her today.  But let's be honest, I can't stand it anymore. I can't stand to see her in so much pain ALL. THE. TIME.   The doctor looks at the x-rays and i'm just praying the entire time... 

With the jolt of the splint, it was enough to actually re-set her arm to an almost perfect position.  As happy as I was to hear that, I still felt bad for little Addy who was in so much pain.  So, next came the cast and they were extremely careful. It took 3 people to cast her arm because of how fragile the bones are.  As you can imagine, a tiny little 4 year old full of fear, pain and anxiety, surrounded by 3 adult doctors trying to cast her arm. Um... a little much for her to handle. The doctor had to mold the cast to her arm again, but this time, not as bad. Still painful, but not a minute and a half painful, more like 30 seconds painful.  So, another accidental re-set and a little molding. UGH!!!!


However, they drew a heart on her cast with glitter glue and that made her a little content.  She is now casted up for the second time, and ordered to wear a sling for the next three weeks till we go in for more x-rays and another new cast.


Here's to hoping we can stay away from the doctor for the next three weeks. I've been feeling really sick to my stomach all week and I couldn't figure out why till I literally could NOT get out of bed this morning because I was so tired and I realized that my own stress and anxiety and emotions have gotten the better of me as well this week.  Now that it's over, i'm feeling much better. I hate watching her go through this. That horrible look in her eyes is enough to send me through the roof.  I'm glad she gets a break for a little while... we hope, anyways.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Good grief I hope this it for that poor girl!