Monday, March 13, 2017

First Day of School

First Day of School
August 2014

I can't believe how fast these girls are growing up. Every day I just look at my life with them and realize how very blessed I am to have them in my life. 

Going into this 2nd grade year, Hailey was VERY excited and knew she was going to love her teacher, Miss (Kylie) Ferguson. This year was the very best for Hailey. Hailey soared to new heights through this year. She absolutely loved school and loved that her teacher was very hands on and was very animated to Hailey. Hailey loved learning from her. I couldn't have asked for a better teacher for Hailey this year. Miss Ferguson was very traveled and learned in traveling and that was thrilling to Hailey.  She was great at just being exactly who Hailey needed to enjoy school. Hailey was extremely happy this year and she loved being at school.



Addy was very excited about her teacher as well, however, in the beginning of the year, Addy had many struggles with going into first grade. Her anxiety got the worst of her and she really struggled. Her teacher, Mrs. Frey was unaware that there was such thing as childhood anxiety so she felt as though Nate and I were helicopter parents and that Addy only struggled when we were around. There was one day that was exceptionally worse than others and that was the day that I knew we needed to help Addy more than we were. I remember that they were going on a field trip and Addy was really worried and struggling. There was a time when her worries were not validated like they needed to be and it was rough. I was trying to keep it together so it wouldn't be worse for her.  A good friend, Stacy, was there and someone that Addy really trusted. She made it possible that she could go on the field trip with Addy that day since I couldn't because I was working in Kindergarten.  My boss, Rachel Smith was also very aware and helpful and kind in helping the situation defuse.  Once I got Addy situated and she was feeling better, I excused myself to the bathroom and fell apart. This was the day that I talked to the school psychologist and we ended up getting Addy on a 504. A 504 is in place for kids who need some additional support at school. This was the best thing we ever did for Addy at school. It helped her so much. Once Mrs. Frey was educated on Childhood Anxiety and Addy's situation particularly, she was a godsend. She really stepped up and helped Addy. It ended up being for the most part, a very good year.


I was also cool enough to have my own pictures as well... as an employee.











No comments: