Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Back to the basics...Homemade!

I remember when I was little, my mom always made things from scratch. Occasionally, we would go out to eat, or order pizza, but I don't ever remember eating out as much as I do now. I want to change that, desperately. I don't want my children growing up on fast food and highly processed junk. SO, having said that, I have decided that we need to make a lifestyle change at our house! There is a really great book that helps you make base mixes in bulk so that you have them on hand to make all your own homemade foods. I can't wait to get started. My idea is to make meals a week or two in advance, then freeze them. That way, I don't spend two hours a day making dinner or lunch..and I REFUSE to get up super earlier than I have to so I can make breakfast. So, with all that in mind, I threw the idea out to my mom to see if she could help come up with even more time and money saving ideas for homemade food. Of course, the flood gates opened since she is the master at making things from scratch.

She was up visiting us this last weekend and we made a homemade batch of cinnamon rolls. SUPER easy! I was surprised. They turned out SO good, and the best part is, I have a whole role in the freezer of them just waiting to be cut and baked!

If anyone wants to jump on this homemade food bandwagon with me, please feel free! I'm trying to be better at trying new things and making my own stuff so that my kids can grow up healthy and Nate and I can be around to see that!

4 comments:

The Staheli's said...

MMM...looks yummy! I need to be better at all of that too. It's one of those things that I think I might do better at when I have a home to PUT stuff...but it probably won't help. Haha! :P

Unknown said...

yum...those Cinnamon Rolls look amazing! I'm totally game to join in. I really want to be good about eating at home and eating real food, especially now that I'm going to be home.

Kris said...

Count me in too! Those cinnamon rolls look tasty. Just let me know what you need me to do! I'll try anything to make cooking from scratch easier and more fun. I suppose I should start clearing out my freezer, eh?

Marce said...

looks DELISH!!! give me some NOW!!! i need some of your dough tips...