Thursday, April 7, 2011

FRODO

Last night we were feeling a little spontaneous.  
Nate came home from a late meeting at work and the girls were ready for bed when I randomly said
 "let's go buy a hampster." 
Nate's response was "ok"
So, in their jammies, we threw on some shoes and jackets and headed to the pet store. 


We came home with this little guy:


Meet Frodo.






Hailey got to take him to school today for a show & tell pet day, and he was a hit. 
All the kids were crowded around the cage watching him play in his new home.

The girls love holding him and letting him run around on a blanket. So far, he's a very chill hamster.

So, we have a Cat, a fish and now a hamster. We are well on our way to becoming our own pet store.

When I was growing up, I had SO many pets. Here's my list:
5 dogs
3 cats
birds
2 chinchillas
2 hamsters
MANY rabbits
  (my parents raised show bunnies)
MANY baby chicks 
(who grew into BIG chickens)
MANY fish. 
(We had a pond my dad made in our backyard)
some rats
some lizards
a Turtle

I think that's pretty much my list.
What pets did you have growing up?


6 comments:

Kristy said...

So fun! I almost went out and bought a rabbit yesterday because I just want one so bad. Maybe I'll still get one. I raised rabbits when I was a teenager--what kind did you have? I love that you had so many animals growing up and that you're letting your kids have pets, too. I love animals, but I got kind of burned out on them working at the hospital for so long. I hope one day I want to have some real pets. And maybe I'll get a cat just to tick off my new neighbor. :)

Kristy said...

Also, I LOVE that his name is Frodo!

Allison said...

I had a pet rock... and stuffed animals... poor deprived childhood, although grandma and grandpa did have dogs before they went on their mission, so I got a tiny amount of interaction with those.

MEG said...

I had hamsters and mice and loved them...and my poor kids will never have any because I HATE HATE HATE cleaning out those cages!!!! Maybe they've gotten better over the years? All I can remember is urine soaked cedar chips EW EW EW!!! Can I send the boys over to your house to play with the hamster (he he he)?

And what's with the neighbor not liking cats?! Has she been giving your little kitty troubles?

MEG said...

PS. I love that his name is FRODO too...and he is really cute!

Carmen said...

Great name. Frodo is adorable and so furry! We had lots of animals as well. My most memorable Christmas is actually the year that I gave Nate a hamster. His name was Nicodemus, maybe he has told you about him. Anyway, you know us, we had cats, dogs, hamsters, a few fish in there somewhere.....the boys might have had some snakes or something icky like that but I am sure I have blocked it out.