Monday, August 15, 2011

A Fish has Emerged

I don't have a fear of water. However, I have a fear of my CHILDREN & WATER.  I've just heard SO many stories lately and especially after my little cousin passed because of a drowning accident, I'm just a little Crazy Stressed about it.

My in-laws have a pool. Now, there are good things and bad things about it. The GREAT thing is that it allows us a free place to hang out in the summer. It allows my kids the chance to become very familiar with water and their boundaries.  The bad thing, any time they babysit at their house, i'm quite nervous the entire time i'm gone. The good news is, every one is pretty cautious about the pool so that gives me a little piece of mind.

As of lately, Hailey has become a little fish.  This summer she has really emerged to being a great little swimmer at age 4.  I taught her a series of lessons at the beginning of the summer (not really sure what good they did) and she just can't get enough of it. She never wears a life jacket anymore and she is all over the place.







She has gotten very good at diving. Although, she dove in too deep on the shallow end one day and bonked her head on the bottom of the pool. But as always, she just brushed it off and dove in again and again.  One evening while having a family get together, my nephew Spencer was swimming with the girls and had his underwater video camera with him. He was taping them in and out of the water when Hailey climbed up the slide and jumped off the top into the water instead of sliding down it. I was not happy with her about it since it could have been a very bad situation, but at the same time I couldn't help but think about how fearless she is and willing to try anything. I love that about her. She definitely didn't get that from me. I'll post that video once I get it from my nephew.

Now she continues to ask if she can just jump off the slide ONCE. The answer is always the same. No. The other day, she figured out that she has a love of doing back dives into the pool. WHO IS THIS CHILD? She's crazy. But, I firmly believe that because of her fearlessness, it might keep her from getting hurt, if that makes any sense. It does to me. :-) Or that if she DOES get hurt, it won't break her heart and cause her to be scared. It will just be more of a lesson to her than anything.

Addy has also gotten very familiar with the water this year and had a few episodes of just jumping in without a life jacket and had to be saved. Once, it was Hailey who pulled her out of the water. Oh dear, I'm not sure i'll survive these two. I wouldn't trade them for anything.  I think next year will be Addy's year to become better at swimming but for now, i'm just fine keeping her in a life jacket. At least that way, I really only worry about one of them and not both of them.

This video is a little long, but you get the idea of how familiar Hailey is becoming with water. At about 3:30 on the video is when she shows off her swimming if you just want to watch that. If you do watch the whole thing, check out her CRAZY tan line  on her legs when Nate is helping with her goggles.





2 comments:

Jamie said...

Very impressive! I think at that age I was still learning how to hold my breath under water so I didn't get water up my nose. I love the little booty tan! I can wait to see everyone in 92 days!

jandrach.blogspot.com said...

I think my favorite part of that video was little Addy. Haha totally in her own world twirling around in the water! Such cute little fishes you have :).