Saturday, October 22, 2011

They Were Picked

Last Sunday started out like a regular Sunday night at Nate's parents. We go there every Sunday for dinner. Carmen and Ben made a delicious Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole and everyone brought something to go with it. It was a bit of a family effort. :-)  

After dinner when we were all settled and just hanging out visiting, I notice Ben kept video taping things. I was wondering what he was doing and just figured it was 'silly ol Ben'.  So, a few minutes pass, then Archie, their dog comes running in the room wearing a t-shirt. I read the writing on the shirt and then just passed it off as a 'silly ol Ben' joke or something so I didn't respond right away. I then hear Ben and Carmen say something quietly about how I saw it but didn't react. So, I looked again, read the writing a little slower, then it dawned on me.  

The shirt read: I'm Going To Be A Big Brother

I looked at Ben and Carmen and said " WHAT DOES THIS MEAN????" I repeated myself a couple times while seeing the grins on their faces and the camera in my face, when I turned to everyone else and got their attention while pointing to Archie's shirt.  Then, the magical and LONG AWAITED words escaped from Carmen's mouth:  

"We've Been Picked !"

Tears flooded the room at that moment and we all were LITERALLY jumping for joy!  

They had found out a couple days before on Friday that a sweet young girl had decided that Ben and Carmen would be the perfect parents for her baby boy due December 30th.  I cannot express the intense emotion I felt for Carmen and Ben upon hearing the news. We have all been praying and rooting for them for SO long. It's their turn!  Every time I think about it, it gets me all choked up. 

I know they will be such great parents, given their relationship with their nieces and nephews. We are so so so so happy for them. Last night, about every 20 minutes or so, till we fell off to dreamy land, Nate and I would just look at each other and someone would say, "I can't believe it! I am so excited for them!"

I can't wait for Carmen and Ben to meet their new baby boy at the end of the year, and I can't wait to meet my new little nephew. 

Congrats Carmen and Ben!!! We are so excited for you!!

6 comments:

The Staheli's said...

YAY!!! So excited for them. It's fun to hear the response from your perspective. :)

Allison said...

LOL that's hilarious! Such exciting news, we've been crying happy tears too!

Unknown said...

That is so exciting!!! They will be awesome!

jandrach.blogspot.com said...

Thats such exciting news! And even more exciting that he is due in December? This December I'm assuming... Thats like two months away!

Carmen said...

Tiff, I love this post. I got choked up reading it remembering the emotion of that moment. It was exactly what I wanted. It is fun to have a record of that night and I am definitely going to post that video, it was pretty awesome. We have such amazing support from the family and we are so blessed. This baby is going to be EXTRA loved! I just know it. I can't wait for the girls to love on him along with everyone else. Thanks again. Love you!

Scott and Valerie Johnson said...

Such a fun night. What a joy and a relief. We are so so excited for another little grandchild and we need another boy in the family. Yay for Carmen and Ben!