Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years



I still remember where I was and how I felt the minute I heard of the news that Tuesday morning. I was getting ready for work in Las Vegas when my dad called me and told me to turn the tv on.  I did. I watched. Anxiously. The first tower had been hit.  He asked me to keep trying to get a hold of my mom since she was in Washington visiting my brother and his wife. She was suppose to travel home that morning.  I finally reached her and she said she had been stuck at the airport and flights had been cancelled. After I got off the short phone call with her is when it happened. The second tower got hit. I watched in disbelief.  I knew i'd be late for work but at that moment, I didn't care.


I remember driving to work that morning with the radio up as loud as I could to hear EVERYTHING that was going on.  When I got to work, at the Title Company I worked for, the radio was on and everyone was paying close attention.


I knew that Nate was meeting with his uncle and his dad that morning to check out some stock stuff and I wasn't sure he was done, but I called him anyways. He answered and admitted that he was glued to the tv as well. We stayed on the phone for what seemed like an eternity, hardly saying anything, but just wanting to be connected. Next thing I remember was my boss walking through the door and sending everyone home. There was hightened security that day in Vegas due to the government believing that Vegas was a target. The local news was advising everyone to go home and stay there. So, we did.  My dad came home early that day as well and we continued watching the news and talking to everyone in the family to make sure everyone was ok.


I talked to Nate several times that day. I wished so bad that we were together, but he was in Provo and I was 400 miles away...  I'll never forget how I felt that day. I'll never forget the footage I saw, the footage that I still have a hard time watching to this day.  I pray that the families that lost loved ones can feel comfort on this memorable anniversary.

No comments: