Thursday, September 8, 2011

New Job


A couple of months ago, Nate got word about a company opening a new office and hiring a good amount of people. So, for grins and giggles, we put together a superb resume (if I may say so) and sent it in.  He got a call back asking him to attend a job fair they were going to be having a few weeks later. Knowing that it's a shot in the dark because job fairs are ridiculous with TONS of people applying, he went anyways.  We had talked about the possibility the night before of him getting an offer 'just in case' and I pretty much just left it up to him. Whatever he wanted to do, I was fine with. So, the next day, he went to this job fair and without hesitation, they asked him to go directly to HR. A little confused, since he hadn't even been interviewed, he walked over to HR where they handed him a Hire Packet with a great offer.  Since they had so many people apply, they needed verbal confirmation that day if he wanted the position or not.


While he was there, I was at my in laws letting the girls go for a swim. It was BLAZING that day. I had no idea what to expect since he's never been to one of these AND he hasn't changed jobs since I've known him 11 years!!  That's dedication, I tell ya. All I knew was that he would call me when he was done. Well, I didn't get a call but rather a text. It said "I think I just accepted a new job".   Um, WHAT?  I asked him to explain, but I got no answer. As you can imagine, I was on the edge WAITING to hear what happened.


The next night, we went out to dinner to celebrate. Of course, we went to a favorite, Tepanyaki in Lehi. We were excited that some family joined us. We even got our FAVORITE chef who we thought no longer worked there.






Once reading through all the benefits (which was a new thing for us) and researching the company, which he had done plenty of, previously, we were very excited.  His start date was set for the 29th of August, and as long as his background check and drug test came through he would be in the clear for that date.  All cleared and he was ready. Sort of. A little nervous. K, a lot nervous. This was a HUGE change for him. And for us, but mostly for him.



The day came, after a fun week of hanging out with dad while in between jobs and he was ready. I'm use to seeing Nate leave for work in flip flops and a random t-shirt. Not anymore. He was all dressed up in business casual and ready to go. The first couple months are training, which he is paid for, then on to the real stuff. Part of this training is a trip to the main office in Massachusetts.  This on-site training will be about 18 days sometime in November. CRAZY!! He's hoping it doesn't actually happen because it means he will miss Hailey's birthday, but I guess we'll see.


His first day, they had breakfast and drinks and snacks waiting for them. SPOILED!  A couple days ago, I tried to call him on his lunch break, and he responded with a text that read "sorry, I'm in a conference meeting".  So, when I asked him what he did for lunch, he said they catered lunch from Rumbi Island Grill for them. SPOILED!!


The only drawback, is that once the office is built, he will be working in Draper. He'll have a bit of a commute, but we don't have to worry about that till December. For now, Pleasant Grove isn't too bad.


I'm very excited for Nate. He deserves this. He's provided such a great life for his family and I am so grateful to him for that. He is extremely loyal and it shows in everything he does, including his work.  I'm very impressed with him and his ability to transition so well.


Here's to a new adventure!!!


3 comments:

Allison said...

Congrats you guys, that's so exciting!

MEG said...

Congratulations and good luck! Starting a job is stressful! I hope he gets over the newness quickly!!! ;)

jandrach.blogspot.com said...

It sounds like such a sophisticated job with all the dressing up, benefits, conference meetings and having food catered! So exciting for him. And the rest of you! Yay for insurance :). Ps, that picture of Nate and the girls is darling.