Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Released


4 1/2 years ago, I got called into the bishops office of the Rivergrove 3rd ward in Provo, Ut. As Nate and I sat there, wondering who the appointment was for, it was suddenly very clear when the Bishop asked me to be the 2nd counselor in the Young Women's Presidency.  I immediately felt good about this adventure. Then, the Bishop told me that they would be sustaining me in sacrament meeting THAT day. Crazy.  I remember walking into sacrament meeting, sitting down, then a few minutes later, Kristi Parker walked by and winked at me. I didn't know who she was or why she winked, I just thought it was a little strange or overly nice? I wasn't sure. :-) Now, she's one of my closest friends.

Rewind a week earlier.

Its a Sunday afternoon and it's beautiful outside. Our renter who lived in our basement was the girlfriend of one of Nate's good friends. Amber was her name and we loved her instantly.  Danny decided that day to show off his new motorcycle he bought by trying to pop a wheelie down our street. Well, one of the tries turned tragic when he lost control going about 65 mph we are guessing and flew threw the air launching his bike through our neighbors garage door while his body slammed into the brick wall on the side of the garage door, you know, the one that has the address numbers on it. Next thing we know, Nate and Amber run to his side while Jordan, Nate's brother and I call 911.  I look over to see Nate slapping Danny's face trying to bring him to, since he was unconcious. Nate was yelling at him and Amber was sitting on the grass freaking out. I won't go into detail what he looked like after that because it wasn't pretty. There was no helmet involved.  I sat there holding Amber when we heard the ambulance rushing down the street. I then remembered that my 9 month old was asleep at home a couple houses away and I hadn't checked on her. As I started running toward my house, I saw a couple walking toward the accident that I recognized from church, but didn't know.  Even still, I folded into her arms and broke down crying.  She asked how they could help so I asked her if she could just stay at my house and listen out for Hailey while I went back to the scene.

One week later.

I'm sitting there in sacrament meeting and I stand up along with the winker as the 1st counselor and the accident friend who stayed with Hailey as the President, Megan Cook. I remember Megan coming up to me after sacrament meeting and saying "I promise I didn't submit your name just because we met last week at the accident."  :-)  All three of us became instant friends and have been since.  About 6 months later, Kristi got put in as Primary President and I was made the 1st counselor. 

Fast forward 2 years and Megan got released as President.  They asked me to remain 1st counselor even through the change of presidency.  The new President was announced and her name was Lezlee Partridge.  Once again, I found a great life long friend. I've been very blessed in my calling.  Fast forward 1 year and our ward got dissolved. I didn't know such thing was possible, but I get a text from Lezlee saying that at Stake Conference that morning, (we were home with sick kids) they released EVERYONE in the Rivergrove 3rd ward from their callings. Nate had been in as the Executive Secretary for 2 years and knew NOTHING of this change. We asked our bishop and he said he got the call the night before Stake Conference notifying him of this change.  It all happened so fast and next thing we know, we are meeting in a new building the next week with people we had never met before.  One week later, I get called into the bishops office with the same request to take place as 1st counselor in the YW Presidency.  I gladly accepted especially after being informed that Lezlee had accepted the call to continue as President in the new ward. So, off we go. 

2 years later, and after a pretty dramatic timeline, I was released.  It's been a total of 4 1/2 years and even though its a bitter sweet feeling and a little stress relieved, I feel a little lost.  That's all I've known since having kids! Crazy!!  But I have to say, it will be so nice to have my Wednesday nights to spend with my family. It will be better on our bank account for the money I spent on lessons and such, but I will miss it. I will miss the girls and their drama. :-)  I will miss the women I worked with.  Out of the 4 1/2 years I was serving in Young Womens, there was a total of about 2 1/2 of those years when it was just me and the President because our ward was small and sparse, allowing for limited help. Those were some crazy times, but looking back, it was a blast. I'm grateful for the friends I was able to make during my time in this calling.  To Megan and Kris... You guys are the best! Or should I say, Winker and Accident girl.. I'm glad it brought us together.  I would be cheesy and say something like 'BFF's!!! or something but I won't.   And Lezlee... We made a great team. I'll be praying that you're next! Just kidding. I loved being in there with you. It was a good time.

It will be interesting to see what comes next.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome post Tiff. It makes me feel kind of sad and nastalgic that so much time has passed since we met. Its gone SO fast. I'm so so glad we became friends. BFFS! You've taught me so much and been there for me so many times. Love you! And winker too. ;)

Kris said...

Haha - good memories. I never knew I was thought of as "the winker". :) That's crazy that so much has happened in that amount of time. And what's crazy too, is that we were only in YW together for 6 mo? It felt like longer than that because we gelled together so well. I am SO glad for those 6 months because you and Megan have been my best friends (or "BFF's" if you will) since then and have helped me in so many ways. Thanks for being so good to me and for the great post! Like Megan said - love you and accident girl too.
Now here's to a little break and a new chapter for you!