Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sicky sicky

I'm feeling a little behind on my blog lately. There's good reason. We've been a little crazy around here. A couple weeks ago Addy started acting really out of character. She had a cough for about a week and a half when one day she just got so sad.. all day. She would lay there and just start crying. She wanted to be held constantly which isn't abnormal for her, but the constant crying was. Finally, I had enough of playing the mommy guessing game and just called her doctor. It was a Saturday evening so we had to see someone that was on call, not her regular pediatrician.  By the time we got to the doctor, she had fallen asleep in the car, which is also very abnormal of my children.  They had her put on a mask since she had a cough and she just looked awful.  Come to find out from her doctor, she had a double ear infection, an intense sinus infection & major chest cold. They would have classified it as RSV (the chest cold part) if it hadn't been that she was older.  So, needless to say, she was miserable.  While in the doctors office, Addy said to me while laying on Nate's chest, "mom, I can't talk, because then i'll just cry." Her eyes welled up with tears and so did mine. I hate when my kiddos are sick. It's pretty much the worst.



While on the subject of Addy, she took a few steps back yesterday in our journey of Anxiety.  We were at her gymnastics place when she and Hailey went upstairs to use the bathroom before class started. A few minutes later, I hear someone screaming bloody murder from upstairs.  Right then, I hear Hailey yell "mom! Addy's locked in the bathroom!"  I run like crazy up the stairs. Normally, I would be much more calm in this situation. I'm not a very 'jump to' kind of mom when something happens.  In this case, knowing her struggles with anxiety, I rushed pretty fast. Sure enough, she was absolutely beside herself.  Crying so hard that she couldn't hear me yell through the door some instructions.  Luckily, on the outside of the door, there was a groove where the lock was and I was able to grab my keys and twist it in there, opening the door.  My thoughts were..... WHY??!!! These are the kind of things that will make her regress so much in her struggles. And, it has. We went to my inlaws this morning, to which she absolutely loves.  She wouldn't even look at my father in law and just kept grabbing for me to hold her. It's hard to explain, but it just makes me so sad when we were finally at a point where she was doing so well and here we are again, back at the starting gate. We recently had a doctor recommend counseling for her. Not so much for her, since she is so young, but more for us so we know how to better help her progress through this and get it under control so it doesn't become more than it is. We'll see.

WHEW!!!  That's a little catch-up on sweet little Addy. I'm just grateful for doctors and also for medicine. I'm not too Pro Medicine, but when your little one is miserable and nothing else is working, I do have to be grateful for it, that's for sure.  

5 comments:

Kris said...

Oh poor Addy - she looks miserable in that picture. And I can't imagine what intesnse emotions she is feeling for such a little body. Poor thing - good luck in the regression and journey, you know my number :)

Unknown said...

I'm so sad for Addy. I'm willing to help anyway I can! I know there's probably nothing I could do but if you every think of anything please don't hesitate. We love that girl! Hang in there!

Brittani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittani said...

I am glad that there are people and doctors around that can help. Wish I were a little closer so that I could be a bit more supportive. Keepin' you guys in my thoughts and my prayers.

MEG said...

OOOH she does look so miserable! Poor little gal, I hope she is feeling better now!