Saturday, February 26, 2011

The BLANKET


Those of you who know Addy well, know that she is inseperable to her blanket. You see, I made Hailey a silky blanket when she was a baby so when Addy was born I did one for her too... although when Addy was born, my sewing machine had burnt up so I enlisted the help of my friend Kristi. Well, since then, it's been her blanket that is a constant attachment.



She has this thing where while she's holding her blanket, she finds certain spots and rolls the fabric between her fingers. It's very strange. Whenever we lay down with her to get her to sleep, she does the same thing to our shirts. She is clearly obsessed. That poor blanket has traveled many miles with this girl and it's very obvious.

Well, we had a tragic accident one morning. You see, Addy likes to sit on the counter while I make her cream of wheat, her favorite.  One morning, she had climbed up onto the counter but had brought her blanket with her. Luckily we have a glass top stove because her blanket was resting on the burner and this was the result...



So, not only does it look bad, it feels like plastic in that burnt corner.  She was pretty upset about it as you can imagine.

A few days later, we went to the store, she picked out some new fabric and a few days after that, when I got my act together, I made her a new blanket. The transition wasn't the easiest, she misses her old blanket terribly, but her new one has resumed the position by her side at all times.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Haha, Kalea has blankies with silk edges- you'll see them at the reunion- but she does the same thing. If she doesn't have them at bedtime she freaks right out because she has to be able to rub those edges. Their little routines/attachments are so funny sometimes.

Kris said...

I love blankets that you can CLEARLY tell are loved... sometimes loved to pieces. :-) Addy's new blanket is adorable. The funny thing is that I used to do the same thing to my blankets when I was little (rubbing them between my fingers a certain way).

The Staheli's said...

I'll bet she was so sad. She LOVED that blanket. You're so good to make her a new blankie!! It's super cute.

Carmen said...

Such a good mom to make her a new blanket, I am pretty sure I will be the type to go out and buy one:). I love the pictures and the story of the blanket, it will be so good for her to be able to look back and remember.