Thursday, July 14, 2011

Little Star

I'm not really sure how to begin this post. I knew I wanted to write about this, but I never really knew what I wanted to say. I still don't. But i'll try.

I have an uncle. Uncle Dave. Since I can remember, we've had this little connection. We don't talk much. We haven't seen much of each other since my family moved from California, but there's always been that little something. That little spark that each time you DO cross paths, you just can't get enough of each other. That's how it's always been with my Uncle Dave. Since I was a little girl, he just made me feel like I was SO special to him. The feelings were mutual.

Almost a week ago, we got a phone call that his little boy Kaleb  who would be 2 in August, had climbed into their above-ground pool and drowned. Although I've only met Kaleb once, I'll never forget holding him and hearing his sweet story from his mom of how he came into this world.  I'll never forget how much his daddy adored him. I'll never forget how snugly he was.

Since hearing of this news, my heart aches. My heart aches for my Uncle Dave. My heart aches for his mom, Kaliko.  My heart aches for them and for the many others who have suffered similar losses.  I wanted so badly to go and give my uncle a big hug. To be of support in this sorrowful time. I wish I could have.

It's times like this especially that I am grateful for the gospel and the promise of Eternity. I hope they know they are loved. I hope they know of the many prayers of comfort that are extended. I hope they know that I love them. I hope my Uncle Dave knows that I love him. And I think of him often.

And to you, Little Kaleb... You will be missed. What a perfect meaning to your hawaiian name: The Star. What a great way to remember you when looking at the night sky filled with bright stars. I'm grateful to have known you for the little time I did.



Kaleb Ray Kahoku Martin
'The Star'
Aug 2009-July 2011


4 comments:

The Staheli's said...

This just breaks my heart. I'm so sorry, especially for your uncle and his family. This is the unimaginable. :(

jandrach.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful Tiff. Such a sweet little boy. I wish we could have been there yesterday, but I'm so glad we have such a supportive family that were able to be there for them.

Carmen said...

Such a gorgeous little boy. What a horrible loss. I am so sorry for you and for his whole family. This was a really sweet post.

Danny and Amber Koller said...

I am so sorry. My heart just breaks hearing that.