Monday, July 18, 2011

Really? On the Weekend? Why?

I'm sitting here listening to an unfamiliar sound, but one that makes me oh-so-happy.


Backup a couple days, and this is what happened. We got a text Friday night that our basement was flooding. Again.  The last time this happened, I fixed it. Yes, me. All by myself. I was proud. This time, it was out of my control. The water heater busted a leak. Those of you who are homeowners or know anything about this KNOW that it's not a cheap fix. 


After researching this till my eyes popped out and worrying about our tenants that live with us, I was just about to the end of my rope until I asked my neighbor if he could by chance be of assistance.  He quickly agreed that he could help and I have to admit, hearing those words gave me immediate comfort. :-)  After telling him of the quotes we had received, he laughed. He agreed that between $1500 and $7000 was QUITE redonculous.


The sweat on my forehead began to recede as he made me feel a little more calm about our situation. So, after using my in-laws house to shower the last couple days, I'm happy to say that we got a new tank, one we are happy with and now I can clean my dishes that have been sitting in the sink since Friday and bathe my children. And myself.  


You never realize how much you rely on something till it's gone. 


I'm just grateful to be surrounded by awesome neighbors and friends. I cannot even describe how grateful we are for that.


I really shouldn't get myself over-excited till it's actually done being installed. Which is what's going on right now. I really should be offering some assistance to Nate and Joe, but instead, I sit here typing away and listening to that unfamiliar sound of changing out pipes. Music to my ears.

2 comments:

MEG said...

LOL, I saw the box for the new water heater sitting outside and really hoped that it wasn't a disaster...sounds like it was a little bit. I hate when the water heater goes out!!!!!!

jandrach.blogspot.com said...

Yay for hot water! I too have a new appreciation. Sorry that you guys have to be the ones to deal with that nonsense. You're the best landlords we could ask for.