Sunday, January 20, 2013

Grandpa Luke


Grandpa Jack O. Luke


Two days before Christmas, we got the horrible news that my grandpa had died tragically. This death has been extremely hard on me. I do not like to cry in front of people and I've gotten pretty good at setting emotions aside but this one hit me hard.  I've really grown to love my grandpa a lot over the years of my adulthood. I called him regularly and looked forward to our chats.  I was pushing hard this year to get him to come stay with us for Christmas at my parents house, but then he got ill and ended up in the hospital with a doubly bypass heart surgery. I talked to him a few times while in the hospital and I will cherish those phone calls forever. His surgery went well. He was home when he died and it was a very sad night for all of us. 


Luckily, my dad had just brought him home from the hospital that day and was at the airport ready to come home for christmas when he got the call from my aunt that my grandpa had died. This was completely unexpected and such a hard thing for all of us. Especially two days before Christmas. My dad did not come home that night, obviously. He did however, make it home for Christmas Eve. We all did our best to put on a happy face for the kids sake and get through Christmas with smiles and excitement. 


Deep down, it's been a really sad few weeks for me. I miss him.

Damon and I waiting for our flight

Damon and I flew out to California for grandpa's funeral/celebration of life.  The great part about all this is that after all these years, my grandpa brought his family together. I haven't seen my cousins on that side of the family since I was a little girl, apart from my cousin Carl who lives here in Utah. 

It was great to see everyone, but still so sad.

The first night we were there, we went out to dinner at Outback with everyone who was around. 


My cousin Billy and his girlfriend Lindsey who is my new BFF. 


All my cousins on the Luke side.
Me, Jimmy, Damon, Carl, Bobby, Chad, Jared, Kimmy, Billy and Stevie


This lady is my dad's Aunt Mary. When I was ten years old, we lived in our motorhome in Washington while we were waiting to find a house to live in. This sweet lady and my dad's uncle Bill let us live on their property during this time. They became another set of grandparents. I haven't seen her since we moved from Washington... about 17 years ago. 


Lindsey


Damon claimed this jacket he found in my grandpa's closet.


My cousin Billy


All the cousins with Dad and Aunt Barb. 


The only 3 girls in the group


Family photo op in Grandpa's backyard.


I think Damon and I took it the hardest. I called my grandpa about once a week to check in on him and it just sucked--big time.
I know he's in a better place and I know he's much happier, but my heart still hurts and i'm sure it will for a while.

This was the last picture taken of my grandpa. This was just after his surgery a couple days before he died.


This is my favorite picture of me and my grandpa. This was one of the many times we went camping at Coronado Beach in California when I was a little girl.


Love you Grandpa. You will be missed. A lot.


No comments: