Sunday, August 5, 2012

Last Minute Decision

A couple weeks ago, my mom called to tell me about a puppy she had at her house.  She had this puppy at her house because the couple who spent TONS of money on him realized after one month that they work all day and go to school at night and the poor guy was locked up all the time. She told me about his background, what he was, who he was coming from, yadda yadda.  My immediate response to the question "Do you want him?" was "NO!"

We currently have family living in our basement, as well as a dog living in our basement, a cat, a couple guinea pigs (one of which we sold last week), a fish, 2 children, a business, along with Nate and myself all under one roof. The LAST thing we need right now is a dog.  

Granted, we've always wanted a dog at some point. Nate and I both grew up with dogs and see the impact a dog can have on kids in a family so we knew it was definitely something to look forward to.  However, if and when we did get a dog, we wanted it to be part of the family.  We didn't want a dog that sat outside being ignored or a dog that was kenneled up all day. Also, we wanted to make darn sure that the girls could have responsibility with a dog.

So, after telling her no, I told Nate about it.  His response was kind of shocking because he said, "i'm ok with it if you are!"   WHAT?  I really thought he'd say no as well.  So, I thought about it for a while, did lots of research and after hearing that this dog was bought at a specialty shop who sold to celebrities and who make sure their dogs are top quality for that reason as well as potty trained and kennel trained, we agreed to come see the puppy. So, the girls and I, on a whim, drove to Las Vegas to my parents house to check out this little guy.  

Needless to say, we fell in love immediately.  We agreed to take him.  We told the girls that we were just going to "babysit" him for a while so that Nate could be the one to tell them we had bought them a dog. 

So, meet our little Morkie (Maltese/Yorkie Mix) Koda


I had a Yorkie growing up so I've always had a soft spot for that breed. And Maltese? well, they are just beautiful.




He's our cute little bear of a dog (hence the name Koda from Brother Bear).
The girls are absolutely in love with him.  He rarely barks unless he is startled by something but doesn't bark at our neighbors dogs. He will bark for a second if a stranger comes in our house, then just licks them to death.
He's 4 months old and is potty and kennel trained.  He sleeps through the night and loves to chase our cat.  He won't get any bigger than he is now, about 6-8 pounds and is just a fluff ball.  He loves to play catch with his little Frisbee and he loves going to the softball fields. 
Best of all, the girls absolutely love him to death.
I'm happy that they will come home from school to a little fluff ball who's excited to see them..
I remember having that feeling after a rough day growing up and coming home to my dogs who I adored and just knowing their unconditional love for me. My dogs got me through some really hard times.
I look forward to that for my girls.


3 comments:

Allison said...

I want your dog! He looks so sweet, give him a cuddle for us! PS loving all your updates!

JenRoth said...

I'm totally not a dog person, but this little guy is adorable!! A perfect companion for your girls :)

Unknown said...

He is SO cute!!! Of all the little dogs I've met he's my fav so far! He acts more like a "real dog"! And he's so darling. I'm so glad you got him!