Thursday, August 30, 2012

Another Rush To A Place I Don't Like...

Last night, we had a Curriculum Night Meeting at Freedom Preparatory Academy.  I called my good friend Lezlee to see if the girls could hang out with her while Nate and I attended the meeting with Hailey's teacher. The meeting was great and it was nice to visit with her teacher on a more personal level. Her teacher is awesome.

As we were coming upon Lezlee's house to pick up the girls, we see them walking up her driveway. We knew they must be coming from the park. What was strange was that Lezlee was holding Addy and carrying her scooter.  They turned around when they saw us and then we saw the horrified look on Addy's face. We got out of the car and asked her what was wrong as she was bursting into tears. 

Lezlee then tells us she fell from the monkey bars and says her arm hurts.  I scan my eyesight down to her arm and there I see this "S" shape that her forearm had become.  Trying not to freak out, I said "oh, yep, she's hurt." I look at Nate, Lezlee looks down and realizes how bad it is, then her face goes white.  If you can remember back a few years to THIS post, you'll know why she felt as bad as she did. I immediately grabbed her and hugged her telling her not to worry and we would call her. By this time, Nate was in the car, holding Addy in his lap.  

The whole way to the ER, which is right down the street, thank goodness, Addy was in and out of falling asleep. She had a yucky scrape on her eye and a bump on her head so I was worried that it might be more than just her arm, but luckily, she didn't have a concussion.  

We got to the ER, I was trying to get her checked in and everything I tried to dig out of my purse was that much harder because I was shaking so bad.  Hailey was being a great big sister in trying to talk to Addy about OTHER things, but Addy was really in shock and out of it.  We finally got called back and the doctor on call came in to see what was up with sweet little Addy.  She FREAKED out.  She was already in shock, having a serious overload of anxiety AND it was a male doctor with some crazy hair.  Finally, she let him see her arm and he shot me a worried look. 

He then told us that they would have to most likely put her out because he needed to set it.  UGH!  I call Lezlee to see if she could come get Hailey for us, since we know it's going to be a while and it's already way past bed time. Life goes on and Hailey STILL had school bright and early the next morning.  I then call Rachel to see if she could put Hailey to bed for us. She called me back a few minutes after Hailey and Lezlee got to the house to inform me that Lezlee refused to go home and that she would stay with Hailey till we got back from the hospital.  

Somewhere during all this, my wonderful in-laws showed up to assist in a blessing.  They hung out with us the rest of the night which was great. We TOTALLY needed the moral support.  

So, they took her in for x-rays and saw that both bones in her arm were broken just below the wrist.  Luckily, they were pretty clean breaks so surgery was not needed.  I then realized that is why the doctor gave me that worried look. From the looks and feel of it, he thought it might need surgery.




Then, the drugs came.  They put an IV in her left arm and soon after, the doctor came in with a few other nurses and x-ray techs with a big x-ray machine.  Poor Addy.  Then the doctor watched as she fell asleep then grabbed her little arm with both hands. I immediately looked away and found my mother in law looking right at me asking if I was ok. Nate was holding her head still because the doctor said she would definitely feel it even though she was asleep. The good news was she wouldn't remember it.  

Then, I heard the crunch. My father in law was brave enough to snap a picture while he was setting it. Good thing you can't see much.  After it was set, they saw on the x-ray machine that it set correctly and then it was time to wrap it.  They put a soft cast on her which she'll wear for a week or so to allow for swelling. Then, once the swelling goes down, they will put a hard cast on which he said will need to be on for 6-8 weeks.


If you look closely, you can see the doctor holding her arm, ready to set it..


Just after the meds wore off.


trying to sit up all by herself while still doped up.



trying to look happy at everyone staring at her.



He gave us a prescription for some pain meds for her and wished us luck.  Early on in the process, one of the nurses came in with a little doll for Addy which was then given the name 'Addy'. :-)  She watched a little Dora on Nate's phone while they put in her IV and at that point, I realized I was relying solely on my mother in law for physical support because she moved apparently and I almost fell off the hospital bed. :-)

We got Addy home VERY late last night and she had a hard time settling down to sleep. The doctor recommended she stay with us all night... obviously. Nate slept with her in the bed and I slept on the floor with the dog. Figures. Just kidding. I CHOSE to because I didn't want her to be cramped and get her arm bumped in the night. Plus, due to 5am wake up times, Nate was already out cold.  She woke up about every hour and a half crying, but then quickly fell back asleep.  This morning, I had to get Hailey to school but Addy was still sleeping and I REALLY didn't want to wake her up... but, that's life and I ended up having to wake her up to get Hailey to school. 

Today's been rough. This morning, she was feeling pretty good. Especially when her best little friend Sophie brought her a balloon and card.  They watched a movie for a little bit together and Addy was happy to have a friend with her.  Then, as the day has progressed she has become more and more upset and is in quite a bit of pain.  Her little cousins stopped by to see her and she really started understanding the extent of her injury as they all went out to jump on the trampoline and she couldn't go. She then wanted to go ride bikes, but again, not something she can do. It's hard to explain that to a 4 year old. She's asking for her dad a lot as she usually does. She loves the comfort and safety she feels when Daddy is holding her. Especially when she's hurt.   

Hopefully the pain subsides and she can start to feel better soon.

5 comments:

Carmen said...

Poor poor little Addy, seriously! She is such a sweety. We will definitely have to come by and see her too. I am glad surgery wasn't necessary and that she won't remember the pain of the arm being set. Love you Addy!

Allison said...

Brutal! We hope she heals up really quick so she can get back to doing all the things she wants to do. So sad for her, and you, it sucks when there's not much you can do but stand by and watch.

Pays said...

Bless her heart!! The poor girl! I hope she starts healing quickly.

Unknown said...

Really?! How much more can you guys take!!! Poor sweet little Addy. I hope the pain goes away soon. How are you holding up? We should take her and Sol to a movie or Dino museum while haileys at school. Sol is worried about his little friend. ;)

Kris said...

Oh that is miserable! Poor Addy. And poor you guys - what a hassle. Thank goodness for friends and family close by!