Sunday, November 17, 2013

Ribs HURT!

The morning of Hailey's birthday, I had a cough attack. During the attack, I felt something crack/pop in my ribs. It hurt like no other. I was bent over in the girls bathroom on the floor holding my rib cage trying to not burst into tears. Addy was right there watching me so I didn't want to scare her more than she already was.  I got up, shook it off and went about my day. It hurt all day long and into the night. The next day, it didn't bother me much. In fact, either I was so busy planning Hailey's party that I just didn't pay attention or it was numb because I really didn't notice it at all. 
The next morning, Saturday, the day of TWO birthday parties for Hailey, I woke up and couldn't raise my arm above my head. I knew I had to suck it up and get the house decorated as well as make her cake and get ready for parties.  I was blowing up balloons and I was in so much pain doing so that I wasn't sure how I was going to handle the rest of the day. Nate was working so he was no help. Rachel, however, stepped up and blew up balloons for me and wrapped Hailey's present, etc. Thank goodness for her.
The time for the party came and I was so happy that my friend Jenn Mecham and Malia Lopez stayed to help me out because by this point, I was in a whole lot of pain. 
The kids party was over and it was time to prepare for family to come.
Thank goodness again for Rachel because she was so much help. She stayed with the girls while I went to get pizza so I wouldn't have to worry about them. 
Family came and I lost it. I couldn't handle the pain in my ribs anymore. 
After being told several times to get it checked out, I agreed and Nate and I left the family at our house while we went to instacare.  After an exam of my ribs, the doctor said that I had either fractured my rib or sprained the rib joint.  Both are treated the same so we opted out of an X-ray.
He sent me home with Percocet, cough meds & naproxen.
My instructions were LOTS of rest and try not to cough to make it worse. 
yeah right.
Monday came around and I was still in so much pain. My friend Malia offered to take the girls to school for me which was SO great. Jenn brought Addy home from Kindergarten for me and Rachel offered to do my grocery shopping!
I have the best people in my life.
After Rachel did my shopping for me, she made me an amazing panini sandwich for lunch. She's the best.
I'm so grateful I have her around. She was such a lifesaver.
This picture was my view for a few days while I rested and got caught up on my blog.
A few days later, I coughed and something cracked even more. Again, excruciating pain and back to laying around. Hopefully we can get this post viral cough under control so that my ribs can heal once and for all. It feels like someone is stabbing me with a knife every time I cough. It's ridiculous.
I'm so grateful for great friends and family who are willing to help out and take care of my kids when I need a little help. I don't know what I would have done without them.


3 comments:

jandrach.blogspot.com said...

UGH. So sorry you have had to go through all this. I'm glad I could be there to help! Just wish there was more I could do so you're not hurting anymore! :(

Kris said...

Awful! I had this happen a couple years ago (except via bike accident... I didn't even know you could break your own rib by coughing - terrible!!) I'm so sorry for you. And to have it happen twice! Hang in there.

sarah said...

Hey Tiff! How are you? Some of us Washington ladies are getting together for lunch -- there are a bunch of us living around here now... Lorien Harris, Anne-Marie Dietz, Sophie Burbidge, Laurie Whitney and me and my sister. Call or text me if you'd like to get together. We're meeting this Friday at my house (kids are welcome). I'd love to see you! Take care, Sarah (Roberts) Scoresby 801-735-6823