Thursday, June 20, 2013

Freeway Trouble

Have you ever stood on the side of the freeway wondering what, how, why?
Well, I did recently, after I caught my breath and calmed my racing heart.
We were driving on the freeway when all of a sudden one of my back tires blew. It all happened so fast, but my car was shaking, swerving and I pulled to the side of the road immediately. Luckily, I was able to do so.  Where I initially pulled over, there was NO shoulder. I couldn't step out of my car without being IN a lane on the freeway, so I had to pull up a bit, slowly to get to a place where I could safely (sort of) get out of my car. Meanwhile, Addy is a wreck.. she's so scared and Hailey thinks it's cool but is a little nervous about what's going on. I can't call Nate because, well, he's working in Draper, so how could he help! 
So, I called my father in law, hoping he was somewhere nearby and indeed he was. He canceled his lunch meeting (which I felt really bad about) and said he'd be on his way to meet me.
Meanwhile, I was getting everything out of the van needed, spare tire, jack, etc when all of a sudden, I see this guy running up the freeway to help me. He immediately starts getting the tire off when the UDOT guy shows up and uses his nifty tools to help out. It's a good thing HE showed up because apparently my spare was flat and it would have done me NO good had he not been there to blow it up for me with his nifty truck. Soon after they got me all set up, my father in law calls and says he sees the vehicles on the side of the road and he's almost there, I tell him they got it all fixed and he tells me he'll follow me to the next exit.

The real kicker about this situation is my tires were brand new! Within 2 months brand new and the tire blows out the sidewall. Seriously? Nate calls Discount Tire where we got them and tells them the story so they were waiting for me when I pulled up. The guy says I was lucky I didn't wreck. Um... YEAH! Duh!

So, after we got a new tire put on, and after all our nerves calmed down, we went out for ice cream, because that's what you do!





1 comment:

jandrach.blogspot.com said...

Ah!! How scary and frustrating. Glad you're all ok!