Thursday, June 20, 2013

Gardening

Ever since we moved into this house, I've always thought this part of the yard, that nobody see's, would be a great place for a garden. It gets plenty of sun. However, we have tackled a nasty tree every year that we finally killed because it was threatening to drive it's roots right into our house. We have also tackled countless amounts of weeds that LOVE to grow in this spot. So, I just never bothered. Seemed like too much work. Well, one day, I was in the mood for hard work and a project so this is where I began.


After a couple hours, it looked like this and I was exhausted!!
However, I was not finished. I noticed my neighbor had a rototiller and I asked if I could borrow it.
Super excited to try out this giant tool of a thing, I went to town in my dirt, got a good arm workout in the process and my garden bed was ready for veggies!!!


We knew our garden would need a little fence to keep the neighbors dog out so we went to Lowes and found this cute white fence and it works perfectly. Nate helped me plant our garden and it's growing like crazy!! We planted tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, Anaheim peppers, red and green bell peppers (can you tell we like salsa?) and two other peppers that are insanely hot peppers. Apparently, they are some of the hottest peppers in the world. Nate started growing them at work just for fun and they really like him because they are growing wonderfully in our garden. They are called Trinidad Scorpion Peppers and the other plant I can't remember.  We also planted basil, chives, red and yellow onions, carrots, green onions, cucumber, strawberries and zucchini.
I'm super excited because we've already been able to try some jalapenos from our own garden!!!

1 comment:

Brittani said...

Yay for gardens! I love it. Way to go on the hard work. It will be well worth it